Assignment 20 - Growing Your Social Capital

Person 1:
My first person is a market expert, someone who specializes in parking services regarding events. They are not specifically catered to university parking, but moreso for setting up parking for large sporting events. They have been working with this position for years, and are someone that I knew from my time living in South Florida. I contacted her through cell phone, and asked her to give me some information regarding how my service would affect the prices of parking. She said that my service would slightly reduce the prices people are willing to pay for parking, as people would realize that there is more parking then necessary. This information will help me possibly structure this app in a way that can reduce the amount the price of parking drops, or find a way to still make adequate money with parking being less expensive.

Person 2:
This person is a domain expert, someone who has to advertise their parking (albeit with a sign in front of their fraternity house). I contacted him through a fraternity friend, as he is in charge of selling parking for his house. I asked him what some drawbacks of this method are, and he said that it is hit or miss whether their spots are filled up each time, which means they do not make consistent money. However, he noted that people are often stressed when they reach him, and are willing to pay any price necessary. This contact will be good to see how my app will eventually change the service, and whether he makes more money utilizing my service then he normally would have.

Person 3:
This person is a "supplier", in a sense. This is someone who would be often utilizing my service to buy parking. For my service, there are no real supplies besides the demand for parking. And contrary to popular belief, the supplier in my case as actually the customer, as they would be supplying their business to others, such as the person in interview 2. I contacted this person through email, from a poll I posted online. I asked them what would be required for them to use this service, and they said that it must be very intuitive and easy to understand, or those who are already stressed looking for parking wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of the service. It must be something which ties into GPS, and makes parking truly easier for those who need it. Including this person into my network is necessary as they give me a real insight into how I need to design my app around the customer.

Overall, these connections will help me to successfully design this app in a customer centered manner. This experience did not really change the way that I network, as I have done things like this in the past (for this class even).

Comments

  1. Schuyler,
    Maybe the supplier could also be someone who owns land and is willing to supply parking space. After all that is the one essential ingredient you need for your business. Additionally, another so called supplier could be someone supplying their car to be parked, meaning your customer could be looked at in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Schuyler,
    I believe that you did an excellent job on describing what key people you need to be successfull with your business idea. The more difficult part is gonna be to actually find people with these characteristics. I also had an idea of which exact person I should look for but at the end of the day I just found people that were kind of related to what I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment