Assignment 21 - Reading Reflection No. 2

Book: The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users, by Guy Kawasaki

1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
This book is centered around life on Social Media, and how to best survive when marketing in the ever changing social media world. It covers a broad variety of topics relating to social media, such as how to create easily recognizable and understandable brand logos / avatars, or how to integrate social media into your day to day life as a marketer - such as attending trade shows or meeting with other prominent business leaders.

2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users has many ties to the things that we learn in ENT3003. Running a successful business in the modern age relies on the use of technology, and social media is definitely one of the key parts of modern day technology. Therefore, the content of this book is very relevant to what we are learning within this class. Alongside that, many of the strategies we speak about in this class, especially those related to acquiring investors and creating strong business plans, are easily translatable to the material they speak about in the book. In my mind, running a successful social media marketing platform is very similar to running a successful business.

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If I were to design an exercise based on this book, I would task users with creating social media accounts and seeing who could generate the most attraction for their account, utilizing some different (possibly preset?) strategies. This would allow people to test their marketing skills, and also learn about some of the benefits and drawbacks of the different tips discussed in this book.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I was very surprised about the level of depth that went into creating the tips and tricks seen in this book. Things which are as simple as creating a name for your account have huge ramifications. However, the author of this book seemed to have it down to a science, citing what worked best for them and how they think you should construct your social media accounts so that you can grow a large following. Overall, I think I was mainly surprised at how indepth people go into the art of social media, something which I wasn't fully aware of.

Comments

  1. Hello Schuyler,
    I read this book as well for my second reading reflection and after reading your response, I must admit that I felt also surprised when I realized how far the author went in depth when he wrote this book. But to be truly honest, I was more surprised when I realized that he was right when he stated all the facts why it would be such important to spend a lot of time choosing a name and using the best picture of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schuyler,
    I am glad that you were able to gain so much knowledge from the writings of author Gary Kawasaki. I am reading this book for our final reflection and hope to apply his teachings about social media to my business. I am glad, as someone who hopes to become even more savvy with social media, that the book provided you with so many helpful tips, tricks, and words of advice. I think that the exercise you created for the class based upon the book that you read was very effective and informative. Overall, fantastic work on your reflection

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment