Assignment 26 - Celebrating Failure

During the previous semester, I was taking a class Application of Discrete Structures, and was slightly struggling on some of the tests. I was not doing as good as I could have in the class. I rationalized it to myself as having not liked the teacher, and that she was making unfair tests. But the real reason was that I was simply in a slump, slacking and not showing up to class. After seeing what I considered to be poor grades on the tests, I was really down, but was able to bounce myself backuup and use it as motivation to succeed. I ended up with an A in the class, and started to build somewhat of a work ethic.

From this experience, I learned that it is okay to fail sometimes (everyone does at some point), and that the real importance is to learn from it. Because the worst thing you can do is to fail and not learn from it, as then it is really just a waste of time.

In general, failure is a necessary part of life, and should not have the negative connotation that it does today, unless someone does not try to remedy their situation. I think that I now handle failure very well emotionally, but in the past that has not always been the case. There have been times where I would be sad or always have failure on the mind, and it is not good for the mental health. After taking this class, and seeing the struggles that many entrepreneurs go through (especially from the reading reflections), I now see that failure is truly something which happens to even the best of us. I am definitely more likely to take a risk without fear of failing.

Comments